Thursday, September 16, 2010

Update

Sorry I have not been as diligent in my blog lately. We have been very busy and sometimes overwhelmed with the start of school. Jaedon is doing well. He seems to be adjusting very well and I might even be able to leave during preschool hours. He is also growing like a weed. He is thinning out and loosing the toddler look in favor of a little boy. It makes me sad to see him grow up but I feel so grateful for such a wonderful, sensitive little boy.

Kaylee is doing very well. She is learning so fast its scary. Her newest trick is pushing chairs up to the counter to get the things I put out of her reach. Her problem is she gets stuck after she gets what she wants. She is totally adorable. She is learning all sorts of new words and loves reading books.

JJ is doing well at home. He is very happy and smart. I wish I could say that school is going well but he is struggling a lot. Sorry if you are reading this and I have vented and asked for advice on this as I am sure some people are getting tied of hearing about this. JJ comes home from school most days crying. He no longer wants to go to school which is ironic because I wanted to continue homeschooling but JJ really wanted to go to school. He wants to know where I am and one day because I took him to school he thought I didn't want him any more. Couple that with not enjoying his teacher. He gets frustrated often and gets in trouble if he puts his head down when frustrated. His teacher says he has trouble keeping up with his class and it takes him longer than most children. She also says he is reluctant to do his school work. I am very worried because when he is at home and we go over his work and read out loud he doesn't have any trouble at all. Most of the things seem too easy for him. I wonder if he is acting out and if so I want to stop it now. I also worry about being reluctant to do class work because the home school books at home are one of his favorite things to do when he gets home. I have addressed all of these concerns and conflicts with his teacher and feel like I am getting no where. She refuses, simply refuses, to let me come into the class room and help or read books and speak with her once a week and is unwilling to make any kind of special allowance for him. I fell like I am in between a rock and a hard place. I made an appointment with the principal tomorrow and invited her to come as well. This has really made things hard JJ come home even more unhappy and says his teacher is mad at him. Thanks for letting me vent. I am trying to get him signed up for a program called a 504. It allows him to have individual lessons and more involvement by me like letting me have the lessons in advance so I can work with him and the teacher would be more of a backup or tutor and other things like only doing the odd problems at school and the even ones when he gets home with me and turning them back into the teacher. I realize that this means more work for the teacher and better preparation on her part. I almost feel bad for that but I really want school to be a positive experience for him.

Jeremy and I are doing great. Just working on the daily grind.